raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hello,
A long time fishing buddy wants us to go trout fishing in NFLD next year. Many moons ago I spent 10+ years as an air-traffic-controller in St. John's and Gander. While I fished when I was there things have changed no doubt and so I'm starting to gather information on regs etc.
We want to stay reasonably close to the western part of the Rock to cut down travel time. Because we will be trout fishing, we would prefer trout streams as opposed to lakes or big rivers like the Gander, Humber, Exploits etc. The other thing is what time of the season should we go to avoid as much as possible the black flies and Mosquitos and yet have good fishing?
If anyone has some suggestions as to nice trout streams etc., would you please email me at this address: raven4ns@yahoo.ca. We discussed the idea of a formal trip with a guide etc. but neither of us want that mainly because we plan to use some of our time for photography as well. I'm hoping that someone who fishes trout streams in that part of the Rock would give me a few ideas of where Danny and I could hit some nice trout.
We are both catch and release anglers but we will on occasion keep enough for a shore lunch. Any help you can provide will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Tim

All the best

Tim

The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

https://www.flickr.c...s/44673530@N04/

#2 Al_ G _62

Al_ G _62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationbeaverbank

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:36 AM

If you are a non-resident, fishing trout streams in newfoundland you will be limited to the area within 1/2 mile of a numbered highway, that is a public highway maintained by the province. Otherwise you have to employ a guide. You don't need a guide if you are not fishing, so photography is not a problem.

You can apply for a guide's license for the province of newfoundland as long as you have the following ( relative to Nova Scotia at least ) 1) a valid Hunters safety ( wildlife ) card, 2) A boaters card ( operators card issued by Federal Marine Safety ) and a valid first aid certificate.

The Guide's permit will cost you $10. It will allow you to guide a non-resident to fish beyond the 1/2 mile restriction, but you are not permitted to fish whilst you are guiding. Solution: you both get a permit and take turns fishing!

The application process can be tedious so once you have the qualifications met, apply early in January and you should have everything ready well in advance of the fishing season. By the way, it also works for salmon fishing, just have to buy that license, albeit you can purchase a 1 week license.

http://www.env.gov.n..._a_guide_nl.pdf

Keep your bait wet

#3 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:44 AM

Been over a number of times Trout Fishing. The parameters  to fish as a Non Res without a guide are detailed in the above post. That is not an issue , most of the small streams all through the west coast up to the Gander area have Trout in them. We fished many that were in ear shot of the highway, fished some that were along the highway, full of Trout. Fished one pond (Deadwater) where houses were. A local gent came over and chatted. Asked what we were fishing for, told him Trout. He laughed and said that there were none in that deadwater. He stopped laughing after we showed him a few of the Trout. The Non Res Trout license was less than 20 dollars last time over, that would have been about 4 years ago. Finding a retailer that sells these licences proved harder than actually finding the Trout. Google earth will help you plenty with finding streams. Best of luck.

I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#4 Al_ G _62

Al_ G _62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationbeaverbank

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

Good info guest, but NR trout are at most retailers, 

#5 -----

-----

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationAnywhere that fish are and people are not

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

Good info guest, but NR trout are at most retailers,

Last two times over we had a big issue finding any retailers that sold them. A DNR CO had to help us out close to Stephenville with a retailer, he had to make calls to help us, last time over we went to virtually every store in Deer Lake, finally after many attempts located a retailer. Perhaps that is now a non issue, it has been 4 years since there fishing?
I keep my head held high and smile, because there are people who will kill to see me fall.

#6 raven4ns

raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the information. As I mentioned, Danny and I might keep a few for a shore lunch but everything else goes back so size is not really an issue with us, we just enjoy the action, especially on a small trout stream. We don't want to drive long distances to find a few nice streams or brooks in order to fish. If anyone knows of a few streams in Western NLFD close to the Codroy Valley please let me know.

We are both amateur photographers and we will spend a fair portion of our time taking pictures. I have a few of my images at this address if you care to see them: https://www.flickr.c...s/44673530@N04/ . With the ruggedness of the Rock, we hope to get some nice shots especially of the coastline. We will be driving a fair bit on those days which is why we want to keep our fishing travels fairly close. Thanks again, guys, I really appreciate the help and suggestions.

Tim

All the best

Tim

The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

#7 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

Hi Tim
Sheppards store sells licences on line.
Google "flies4fishing" and Newfoundland
John is a fine fellow and ask him about access to Adies Pond.
There are a few good spots there or was the last time he took me there.
Also tbe Birchy Dam if they are accessable.
The last time I was there licences were hard to find.
I get it before I went if I ever go again.
Also the Wardens tell me if both have guides licences
one can guide the other fish but you need do the whole day
before you change around. The locals are not keen on CFAs
with guide licences! They can make more trouble than its worth.
Enjoy your trip
Paul

#8 mushamush

mushamush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hi Tim

Another point I forget, I don't think you need a guide

to fish trout in the salt water but you need check that

because things change.

There is good trout fishing at a lot of the smaller West coast

river, Robinson, fishel and many others.

Quite a few American anglers go there just for that -

or did at least

Paul

#9 raven4ns

raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

Thanks, Paul, I appreciate the info and the help. Danny and I spent most of this afternoon going over the maps and trying to decide how we are going to do it as well as for how long the trip will be. At the moment we are looking at 10 days to 2 weeks which should give us plenty of time.

We were thinking about fishing along the 470 and then seeing if the ferry runs from Rose Blanche Harbour to Burgeo. At that point we would fish the 480 back to the TCH as well as the TCH back to Port aux Basques. If it doesn't then we will need to revise our plans a bit. Many thanks, Paul, I appreciate the help.

Tim

All the best

Tim

#10 Rambo

Rambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hello Raven,

Just read this post and was wondering how you made out on your fishing trip? In researching a trip myself for this year and have a few questions.

Was it a pain to only fish within a 1/2 mile of a marked highway?
How did you find locating a license?
And finally, any pictures? Haha
Thanks

#11 Luciano

Luciano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

Umm I  don't think he has gone yet...hence the title of the post NL Fishing 2015

#12 Rambo

Rambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

Ahh my bad. I misread and thought it was for 2014.

#13 raven4ns

raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

Hi Rambo,

Our trip isn't until next year.

All the best

Tim

#14 Rambo

Rambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:45 PM

Yeah I misread the title.
Did you figure out where exactly your going to go?

#15 raven4ns

raven4ns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

Yes we will fish along the TCH until we get to the 480 and then fish it down towards Burgeo.

All the best

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users