• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:47 AM

Was recently given a couple rod/reel combos which came pre-spooled with braid.

With mono, often I'll put an egg sinker on the main line, so it slides freely, and a swivel below that to attach my leader to.

Will the sliding egg sinker fray the braided line?

#2 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

Have used egg sinkers and bullet sinkers on braids. As you know, all braids are different, however there has been very little abrasion caused by the sliding sinkers. Make sure your sinkers are fair quality and there is no sharp bits in the holes caused by molding of the sinker. I use a fine piece of copper wire to debur any rough bits.

The issue I have had is the sinker fraying the knot to your swivel. Solution: add a small plastic bead. You can get tons, cheap, at the dollar stores in their craft section.

The other solution, if you do get some fraying, is to add a leader of mono or flurocarbon with a bead above and below your sinker.

Personally, I don't think it will be much of an issue.

Good fishing,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#3 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info Terran, forgot to mention but I got in the habit of using beads (from the $ store haha) to protect my knots and it works great. Glad to hear the sinker wont hurt the braid too much, Im all rigged up now looking forward to testing it out . Hoping the braid will help me horse out heavy snags on bottom without losing the weight/ swivel

tight lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users