#1 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:54 PM

Looking at my selection on what to make this year, Cold and windy Feb afternoon looking at photos of the warn and sunny May afternoon and Shad in hand, followed by a live release.Glow hot hot pink dart.

#2 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Going to use eagle claw bronze this year for my darts they claim if you snag them you can bend them with pressure. I use 8lb test it should do the straightening.

#3 pound

pound

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

can't wait to get on the river again. after a day of blizzard

#4 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

At the first of March its 2 months till I make a cast into the Annapolis River :o and hope to get a strike, then a screaming drag run :)SHAAADDDD. 72 days away GRRRR. 1 week till I start making  darts. Wonder what I will create new this year?Will pull out the colors tomorrow while the next snow storm rages here in the valley.

#5 Hugh

Hugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

Hi All,

Last year was my first year fishing for shad. I had no trouble finding them, but had a lot of trouble hooking them. I only caught one all year. I use a fly road and tried many colours of darts. I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on dart presentation, techniques, or set-up that may help me be more productive this year.

Thanks,

Hugh

#6 VanW27

VanW27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

Hi All,

Last year was my first year fishing for shad. I had no trouble finding them, but had a lot of trouble hooking them. I only caught one all year. I use a fly road and tried many colours of darts. I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on dart presentation, techniques, or set-up that may help me be more productive this year.

Thanks,

Hugh

As someone who is still new to Shad fishing myself the best advice I can give is keep at it, take a look at what others are doing and experiment.

One thing I have found is to vary the colour and size of the fly or dart to the conditions. In low/clear water conditions try more natural colours and smaller lures, shad are deepwater fish and will spook easily in these conditions so you want a more subtle approach.

Opposite is true in high/coloured water, try brighter colours and heavier lures to get the lure down to the fish.

#7 linesider1998

linesider1998

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

Darts in the fluorescent green and bright pink are usually my go to but I have found little red and white ones are some of the best as well it all depends on the conditions I had some outings last year we got 25 to 17 in a couple hours just gotta be their at the right time and place

#8 Hugh

Hugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

As someone who is still new to Shad fishing myself the best advice I can give is keep at it, take a look at what others are doing and experiment.

One thing I have found is to vary the colour and size of the fly or dart to the conditions. In low/clear water conditions try more natural colours and smaller lures, shad are deepwater fish and will spook easily in these conditions so you want a more subtle approach.

Opposite is true in high/coloured water, try brighter colours and heavier lures to get the lure down to the fish.

Thanks for the advice.  Hugh

#9 Hugh

Hugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

Darts in the fluorescent green and bright pink are usually my go to but I have found little red and white ones are some of the best as well it all depends on the conditions I had some outings last year we got 25 to 17 in a couple hours just gotta be their at the right time and place

Thanks for your help. Hugh 

#10 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

Finally,  Had time to put the second coat of white primer baked on for 3 days then another coat today.

#11 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Were getting down to one month till Shad Madnesssssssssssss :blink:

#12 jasonpickles

jasonpickles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBerwick

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:51 AM

I'm very much looking forward to it.

Last year was my first time trying it and loved it. Only managed to get out the once near Wilmot.

Anxious to take my son out this year to try!

Tight lines!

Pickles

A proud Dad, a proud Maritimer and a proud Canadian. 

I enjoy fishing and photography.

#13 Lobsterfisher1

Lobsterfisher1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Looking at my selection on what to make this year, Cold and windy Feb afternoon looking at photos of the warn and sunny May afternoon and Shad in hand, followed by a live release.Glow hot hot pink dart.

That does sound inviting,specially seeing all this snow in the back yard:/

#14 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

Was talking with friend in Middleton tonight the first thing he said when he picked up the phone  No fish up yet ! ;) Waters down a bit lots of rain in forcast this week .Dipped the darts first coat of colors. Even made 5 darts blue and whites . Sure hit the Hot pinks colors again this year. The molted ugly Green Thing came out perfect in one coat. Have some ideas for a new prototype color dart and tail color :ph34r:. Will work on the Beast and have two chart yellows colors to use this year. After a request last year I have made 10 Blondies. They worked well last year. Making the usual Pink Ladies, Goblins, Glow bugs. PS You create it you can name it. :D 

#15 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Finished  putting on the first clear coat then the tails the colors came out great.

#16 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

Tying on the tails, looking ahead 2 weeks :D Shad Madnesssssssssssssssss Begins :o

#17 Daydreamerkim

Daydreamerkim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

I fished these when I was a kid. If I remember right they fight like crazy.

#18 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

Heard the smelt and gasperu are running right on time, lets hope in 2 weeks the Shad arrive.Was over next door last night  and out of 3 boys the two youngest12 and 10 asked me when are we going shad fishing :D Had them out for a trout fish Fri afternoon the youngest out fished us all.Liked the pan fried trout he had for supper. Darts will get the last clear coat this morning, cook them at 130degrees f for 8h. New color combo this year Pink Thing !

#19 Daydreamerkim

Daydreamerkim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

Heard the smelt and gasperu are running right on time, lets hope in 2 weeks the Shad arrive.Was over next door last night  and out of 3 boys the two youngest12 and 10 asked me when are we going shad fishing :D Had them out for a trout fish Fri afternoon the youngest out fished us all.Liked the pan fried trout he had for supper. Darts will get the last clear coat this morning, cook them at 130degrees f for 8h. New color combo this year Pink Thing !

sounds like my swimsuit :P

#20 S Jollymore

S Jollymore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHants County

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

Kim I started at 21 and now hooked for life. Yes they fight hard. Poor mans Salmon :D.I fish with a ultra lite 5.6 in and a 2500 Shamanos  8lb test. Some fish with 6lb but play the fish to long sometimes. Fish in Elmsdale the odd time but mostly Middleton. (more Fish).Best day last year was 155 fish whole day. taking a 3 hour break at lunch. Two guys from Bridgewater fish the whole day one got145 the other165.We were the only ones on the river the first Sat in June.It can be a blast on those hot days in May and June.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users