• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Flyguy95

Flyguy95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

Last spring/summer I experienced 2 instances of disgusting fishing behavior near me, one of them was with my own eyes. 

The first was walking up to one of my favorite pools one morning on my local river which is 100% fly fishing C&R only (Woodens river), I heard voices but I assumed it was some of the other friendly fly fishermen I have encountered there before. Looking out through the woods on the other side of the pool I was absolutely gutted to see 4 inbred monkeys fishing with minnows, and I watched in pure devastation as they pulled 3-4 nice brookies out of the water and threw them in a sobeys bag with other fish. I'll tell you I was extremely upset seeing this, and it's my biggest regret that I did not do anything about it in the moment but I was alone, am much younger than they are and they did not seem like friendly individuals who would stop fishing at my request. Later I put up a sign at the pool that read "FLY FISHING/CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY" which I find disappeared a few weeks later.

I don't have any evidence for the second instance, but I was drinking and discussing fishing spots with a couple backwoods characters I am unfortunately related too. One of them told me something that absolutely set me off. He brought a gill net back bowater to a small but plentiful brook trout lake and left it there for a couple of days... All because he owed somebody trout fillets? Probably harvested every damn adult trout in the lake. I was so mad I wanted to slap him in the face. My dad used to take there to fish from the shore when I was just a kid. Absolutely gutted.

What am I supposed to do in situations like these, do I call someone? Do I take matters in my own hands? How do we stop the morons from ruining our fisheries? 

#2 Flyguy95

Flyguy95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Can mods delete this for me? Just noticed there's an "illegal activities" forum

#3 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

Moved to illegal activities forum

#4 darren

darren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSeabright NS

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

Well Flyguy, I've seen my share of illegal behavior at Wooden's along with evidence of bait cans and worm boxes. I was present one day when the local vermin decided it was 

time to kill a few ducks and they shot a mallard drake nearly in front of me. The season was long closed, it was April. I did not confront them, all I had was a fly rod,

but I did report it. If you see these things happening make sure you call the authorities. They need to increase the patrols in the Wooden's area, signs are useless unless you

actually enforce the laws they post. I hate to accuse "locals" of these activities, as they very well could be people from outside the area, but I know some of the locals. I can honestly 

say there are a few that only care about themselves and "their rights", to heck with everyone else. The terms "hillbilly" or "redneck" simple do not go far enough to describe these individuals.

Perhaps one day, these "people" will get caught. I'd like to be there, with the tar and feathers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users