• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheLastCall

TheLastCall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

As the title says I want to find a kayak.

I am not new to the canoe/kayak scene but this will be the first time fishing out of one.
To help me better pick here is a bit about me and my plans for this kayak. So I'm 210lbs, 6ft tall, average build and average fitness level. I have no preference for sit on top vs sit in. It will be used in fresh water only, lakes only, no fast moving water. I want it to be less than 65lbs,I must be able to carry it by myself. Fishing model is preferred but not a deal breaker. Must be able to buy it in HRM or ordered. My price range is less than 1000$ total.

I've been looking on kijiji , but most people aren't looking to sell a kayak at the beginning of the season.
I think the Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, fits my price and my needs but I'm open to suggestions.
I saw the FeelFree Moken 10, looks amazing would love it but out of my price range.

Any input is appreciated.

#2 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:56 AM

There's a Hobie Mirage Outback on Kijiji right now that fits your budget perfectly. Weight is right around 65 pounds without the drive in, and being hands free makes for much easier fishing. Used kayaks work just the same as new ones if you're willing to accept a few scratches, just make sure if you're buying used you look closely for cracks in the hull. 

#3 NS_Sens

NS_Sens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hi, I know it's not a kayak but I picked up a 14ft sportspal canoe from sunset marine in Porters Lake a few years ago, make 12ft and 16ft versions also.  The canoe weights 40lbs, and is a two seater.  I can fish it and carry it by myself but there's room to take someone else if I want to.  One of the downside is it's so light weight, and a flat bottom, that when it's windy it's hard to control by yourself.  I think I got it for $799.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. -- George W. Sears

#4 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

I bought one from store below few years ago.

http://ecologicaladv...t-on-top-kayaks

#5 Mick

Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

Great info above! As stated, the less time a paddle is in your hands equals a higher chance of hooking up. I would recommend trying out any kayak before making the purchase. As kayaking is not new to you, I am sure you would know if the rig is right for you or not quite quickly.

I am guessing that standing while fishing is off the board as you have no preference over sit-in vs sit-on. With that being said there is more options out there. I am not sure which dealers in HRM carry which brands anymore as I have been out of province for the last 3 years. But you can do the digging via this link. https://ckns.ca/retailers/

A quick few that meet your needs and price range:

Sun Dolphin Journey 12 (comes in 10ft as well)
Sun Dolphin Excursion 12
Riot Kayaks Escape 12 Angler (top end of price range)
Lifetime Tamarack
Perception Kayak Pescador
WILDERNESS SYSTEMS Tarpon 100
Emotion 90259 Renegade XT
Emotion Stealth Angler 10’3”
Ocean Kayak Caper Angler

If you can find used yaks that drop into your price range from a higher bracket due to them being used that would be the way to go IMO. The features and creature comforts (seats, gear tracks, etc.) will generally be much better. I would recommend something along the lines of a Jackson Kayak Cruise Angler 10 or 12 if you could get your hands on one. 

#6 Transplant

Transplant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

I bought one from store below few years ago.

http://ecologicaladv...t-on-top-kayaks

I can second this, Paul from Ecological is awesome. He has demo boats available for rent if you were looking to try something, and he provides fantastic support for everything he sells. 

I would also suggest that based on your budget, used is the way to go. There is always lightly used fishing kayaks coming up on kijiji, you will get more bang for your buck this way and you will be much happier in a fishing specific kayak than trying to make a recreational kayak work for you. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kayak, fishing, boat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users