Photo

Sea Lice On Your Catch - An Unofficial Site Study Perhaps?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

Posted Image

Hey Guys,

With the beginning of the 2013 Recreational Fishing Season starting, I thought it might be a good time to see if we can get a little "study" going.

Over the last several years, I have noticed an increase of Sea Lice showing up on my catches. Last year, for instance, a large number of the Shad that I caught were covered in Sea Lice. Some had upwards of twenty lice on them. Many were caught at the confluence of the Shubie and Nine Mile Rivers.

Along with Shad, I had Sea Lice on Sea Trout, Stripers, White Perch and even Mackerel (a fast swimmer that I hadn't seen them on before). They occured in many situations; up rivers, in river mouths and estuaries and (of course) while salt water fishing.

So I got to thinking. On this site, we have a great opportunity to conduct a little science of our own. We have a good number of like minded anglers who will be spending a great amount of time conducting their own "field trips". Here is an opportunity to make some observations and take some notes and photos.

All I ask is that during your fishing, especially salt water, rivers and estuaries, could you take an extra moment to examine your catch? Take some photos if you find the little buggers and keep note of where it was caught, when, how many sea lice (if any) etc.

As you might be aware, certain people in our government (who should know better) seem to be unaware of the proliferation of these little disease bearing life suckers. I would certainly like to be able to present some evidence to the contrary.

If your worried about revealing your "Secret Spot", please PM me with your findings, instead of posting them here in the topic. I can provide you with my email address and you can send your info direct.

I'm just curious as to how bad this little plague is getting? If last years Shad season was any indication, Sea Lice may be more prolific than anyone is aware. Perhaps a decent documentation will spur some "official" studying of the issue?

Just a thought anyway. Let me know what you think.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#2 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

I like this idea.. not only for the sea lice but in general.. most people look at the fish quickly and then away it goes or they kill it to eat. Very few actually inspect the fish quickly to see what's wrong or out of place..not to say you are keeping it out of the water for extended periods etc... just being observant of the fish, what it normally would look like as opposed to what you have in your hands, what shape it's gills are in, and scars or lesions on the sides, all fins in tack or are they feathered or red, any markins or dots on the skin surface, eye clarity etc... we all know what a healthy fish looks like but these are just a few signs to look for on unhealthy fish. Most times unhealthy fish won't bite anyway if they are really lethargic so you may have to keep your eyes open for those laying or being listless in pools or if you are able to see any dead or obviously dying fish...

#3 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Good point Exstream,

I recall in a couple posts, last year, guys mentioning eruptions or "boils" on Stripers. A few photos sent to a DFO biologist might have pin-pointed the cause.

So hey, maybe we can expand the "study". I'd certainly be up for it. God knows with the Budget cuts to science, the help would probably be appreciated. I'll certainly forward anything that I receive to the appropriate folks.

I hope that members will get on board. As anglers we certainly are in the field enough to make our observations. So why not make a little extra effort worthwhile?

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#4 Perry

Perry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

It is a good idea and will reinforce our beliefs on problems in our environment but will not affect how Government bases it's decision. We are the unwashed and cannot produce an acceptable scientific based result. This is what happened to our dear friend in BC, Alexia. her concerns and findings on sea lice were dismissed by Gov as she was not a scientist and did not have a degree to formulate a peer reviewed paper. So she went back to university and got her degree. They still dismiss her as a radical environmalist. It is unfortunate that the biologists are hired by Gov. and have political masters.

Just because you fish a lot doen't mean you are great or even good. It just means you fish a lot!!

#5 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Perry,

Maybe the findings could be directed to the University crowd? I do know a couple of DFO biology types who might take an interest, as well. Perhaps it won't create a great government change of heart, but by gathering the information and publishing it (even here on the site) it makes the information available and public. Hence, hard to refute.

Will it create a major movement to change aquaculture practices or change government decisions ?- probably not.

It still is an opportunity to gather information and knowledge is always of benefit to somebody. What harm could it do?

It may spark some interest from some student to further studies.

Terran

#6 Exstreamfisherman

Exstreamfisherman

Streamside ProStaff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

It would be a great Masters program or Doctoral thesis.. to have them obtain data from ocean to fresh and correlate how sea cage sites have altered both environments. Focusing on fish health from species who return from salt that don't pass any sea cage sites compared to those who have the directly in their migrational path.

#7 ___

___

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

I agree with Perry, for various reasons, mostly because I have seen it first hand as well. Sometimes even like minded people in government positions cannot make too many waves as they are forced to need to eat and pay bills too (through retention of their careers, taking orders from upstairs.)

Though, I was and still am impressed what "word of mouth" did to the Salmon isle in the grocery store recently. ;) People can force change, even in small ways.

Trav

#8 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Professor Jeff Hutchings, is a marine biologist at Dalhousie who studies wild and farmed salmon interactions. Perhaps he or his students would be interested in any findings. I'm sure there are others.

The fact is, we as anglers are out there with an amazing opportunity to add to the information that can be provided. The task is not a drastic departure from our usual practices; simply a little extra observation, a photo or two and a note on the location and observation, etc.

At the very least, maybe we can get an idea of what's going on in our area and perhaps some answers as to what we are seeing with boils, ulcers etc. Certainly the SEa Lice issue is something that I am personally interested in.

Will the Government take interest and appoint a task force to start a study? (LMAO) Probably not.

Could it make a difference to some student or university Professor? Maybe

Could it hurt? NO

Nobody is more cynical than me. Especially when it comes to Government. I do however think that this will be an interesting undertaking; should enough members give it a shot.

Terran

#9 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hey Guys,

With the Shad and Striped Bass fishing picking up, I wanted to remind anyone interested to keep an eye open for sea lice on yout catch. If you could take a quick photo; that'd be great. Even if you just get a count as to how many (if any) per fish.

I think this could be interesting and informative. What could it hurt?

So the next time you're on the river or shoreline...take a look at your catch and post some info here.

Pictures would really be great.

Terran

#10 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

since i first read this thread a few weeks ago i have been paying extra attention to the salmon im catching. i have noticed something really odd. out of roughly 20 fresh fish landed so far none have had any sea lice on them. zero.  ill update here from time to time

#11 trutta

trutta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

20  fresh fish and you are fishing in Nova Scotia?

#12 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

yes sir.  i am. 

#13 trutta

trutta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

yes sir.  i am. 

You are doing very well indeed. Wish I lived closer to the Island.

#14 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

since i first read this thread a few weeks ago i have been paying extra attention to the salmon im catching. i have noticed something really odd. out of roughly 20 fresh fish landed so far none have had any sea lice on them. zero.  ill update here from time to time

No sea lice at all? That is very odd. Maybe they swam by a Cooke facility when they were treating the captives? :lol:

Thanks for the report. Look forward to your updates.

Tight lines,

Terran

#15 SalmoSolar

SalmoSolar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

i have been seeing sea lice for the past few weeks now on the few fresh fish that have been hooked.  cant say i have seen anymore on them then i would consider normal.   still baffled at seeing pretty much none on the fresh fish for the first month or so of the season.

#16 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

SalmoSolar,

Thanks for the information. Very interesting.

A few friends had told me of lice on Shad they caught this year, but (of course) they didn't get me any pics.

I haven't wet a line all season, due to health issues, so I haven't had any opportunity to examine any fish myself.

Thanks again for the info and if you can get a photo sometime; that would be great.

Tight Lines,

Terran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users