31 replies to this topic

#1 trout_manmitch

trout_manmitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Brown Trout and Interview with Guy who Caught a 19in Sea Run Brookie.. - YouTube
Interesting video i thought some nova scotia fisher people would enjoy...

#2 StripperGuide

StripperGuide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Brown Trout and Interview with Guy who Caught a 19in Sea Run Brookie.. - YouTube
Interesting video i thought some nova scotia fisher people would enjoy...

Is this your video TM...some awesome action

#3 trout_manmitch

trout_manmitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

yea i made this video. a buddy and i created the youtube channel. thanks for watching

#4 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Manmitch,

Another great vid.

One thing...if I may. I notice in your video that it looks like at least one guy (in the bow position) wasn't wearing a PFD. The fella in the middle is wearing it, but incorrectly. Open lifejacket can be more of an impediment if you suddenly end up in the water. Nothing like a PFD up around your head while you are trying to swim. Useless if you are unconscious.

Don't want to be preachy, but hope in the future your videos will not only show great fishing. Proper boating safety would set a great example.

Truly enjoy your videos, though. Hope you take my comments in the right way.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#5 trutta

trutta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

That little fish at the start of the video looks more like a salmon smolt than a brown trout. Browns do not have vertical bars on their sides.

#6 Radiation74

Radiation74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

Manmitch,

Another great vid.

One thing...if I may. I notice in your video that it looks like at least one guy (in the bow position) wasn't wearing a PFD. The fella in the middle is wearing it, but incorrectly. Open lifejacket can be more of an impediment if you suddenly end up in the water. Nothing like a PFD up around your head while you are trying to swim. Useless if you are unconscious.

Don't want to be preachy, but hope in the future your videos will not only show great fishing. Proper boating safety would set a great example.

Truly enjoy your videos, though. Hope you take my comments in the right way.

Terran

As long as there is 1 pfd for each person on the boat, they are. Right? I rarely wear my life jacket, and I'm not breaking any laws by not doing so.

Anyway, nice video.

#7 reg

reg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

You are only breaking the law of common sense by not wearing a pfd. Wear one and after a while it will be second nature.
It is very hard to put one on when you are in cold water.

#8 Radiation74

Radiation74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

That's why I only wear my waterproof survival suit with built in potty.

#9 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

You are only breaking the law of common sense by not wearing a pfd. Wear one and after a while it will be second nature.
It is very hard to put one on when you are in cold water.

#10 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

That's why I only wear my waterproof survival suit with built in potty.

Hmm you must smell some pretty in the boat in August :P

#11 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

As long as there is 1 pfd for each person on the boat, they are. Right? I rarely wear my life jacket, and I'm not breaking any laws by not doing so.

Anyway, nice video.

Rad,

It's not about breaking the law. The laws dumb. If you aren't wearing your Lifejacket or PFD on or near the water...it's useless.

Give this a read: Wearing life-jackets on a boat should be mandatory, groups say - http://thechronicleh...tory-groups-say

Even Transport Canada, who's mandate includes Boating Regulations and Safety, and by who the "Law" you mention is regulated suggests:

Lifejackets & PFDs
Research has shown that unexpected immersion in water can place a boater at serious risk if they are not wearing a flotation device to assist them in those first moments. This is true regardless of the experience of the boater, the nearness to shore and even swimming ability. The body's reaction to the surprise of going overboard and the shock of cold water can profoundly affect breathing, nerves and muscle strength. Wearing a lifejacket gives you time to adjust to the emergency and allows you to assist others.

See: http://www.tc.gc.ca/...s-menu-1692.htm

Also from Transport Canada:

It won't work if you don't wear it
In order to work, proper lifesaving equipment must be worn at all times. Believing that you can locate, don and fasten a PFD in the water is dangerous for many reasons; adverse wind and wave conditions can make this extremely difficult, if not impossible; you could unexpectedly fall into water and the vessel (with the PFD aboard) could be unreachable; and, cold water can severely impede your ability to don and fasten a PFD in the water.

Never underestimate the protection a flotation device can afford you. It is called lifesaving equipment for a reason.
(http://www.tc.gc.ca/...on-1324.htm#lj6 )

Regardless of what the "Law" says; common sense says, if you aren't wearing it...it's useless.

Terran

Sorry about the "hijack" of your topic, Manmitch, but it's an important issue.

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#12 Radiation74

Radiation74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

If I'm trolling around at 1.5 mph, I should wear my life jacket , just in case?

If that's the case I better wear a pfd when I'm swimming, sell the 4 wheeler, and put 2 seat belts on my motorbike.

#13 Radiation74

Radiation74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Do commercial fisherman wear PFDS?

#14 Radiation74

Radiation74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Anyway, you old fellas don't need a pfd, your scrotum will keep you afloat.

#15 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Do commercial fisherman wear PFDS?

Transport Canada Bulletin: Subject: Wearing And Using Flotation Devices Small Non-pleasure Craft & Small Commercial Fishing Vessels - http://www.tc.gc.ca/...2011-02-eng.htm

My family has buried three members (over the years) who weren't wearing a PFD or Lifejacket, but had them with them. Sh*t happens.

I'm not gonna argue with you about it. It's your life, Bro. Your choice.

Terran

#16 trout_manmitch

trout_manmitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

My thoughts.. Im buying one of them pull cord PFD deals i think.. boat safety is a good idea..

#17 4fitzs

4fitzs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Anyway, you old fellas don't need a pfd, your scrotum will keep you afloat.

How do think we got to be so old :P ..If you retrieved as many bodies as I have you would not even question the wearing of a PFD.

#18 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

My thoughts.. Im buying one of them pull cord PFD deals i think.. boat safety is a good idea..

ManMitch,

Great to hear. Suggestion: The self inflating types are a little more expensive, but if you take a fall and whack your head; it'll inflate even if your unconscious.

Might sound stupid, but again...sh*t happens. Still , the pull cord PFD is better than wearing nothin.

Stay safe and keep the great videos coming.

Terran

#19 Radiation74

Radiation74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

So you are buying a pull cord? That's safety? First off, I am a good swimmer, and I did watch the video. But if i got thrown overboard and knocked out a pull cord pfd wouldn't serve me any better than the one under my seat. I don't do any crazy boating, when I'm tubing , the people regardless of age or ability wear a pfd. When I'm trolling around in the lake I don't think it's necessary to wear one.

Just curious astohow many people have been found dead with a pfd on?

#20 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

So you are buying a pull cord? That's safety? First off, I am a good swimmer, and I did watch the video. But if i got thrown overboard and knocked out a pull cord pfd wouldn't serve me any better than the one under my seat. I don't do any crazy boating, when I'm tubing , the people regardless of age or ability wear a pfd. When I'm trolling around in the lake I don't think it's necessary to wear one.

Just curious astohow many people have been found dead with a pfd on?

Rad,

At least they were found. How many people who drown without one are never found? Or are found after their bodies bloat up, full of gases, and float to the surface?

You ever seen or handled a floater? I have.

Not something you want your family to have to identify.

You're going to do what you wish. Hopefully, you aren't put in a situation where the last thing you think is, "Man was I wrong".

Good luck,

Terran

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brown trout, sea trout, brook trout, spring trout fishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users