14 replies to this topic

#1 Yakker

Yakker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Whenever I fish on a windy day I seldom catch much. I have read that bass are more active when its windy because the water is stirred up and they are on a feeding frenzy. I find its the opposite. Hope someone can clarify or provide insight. Thanks.

#2 fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Personally, I prefer some wind over dead calm. Smallies will take advantage of the wind blowing small bait fish and position themselves accordingly for an easy meal. ie: feeding frenzy. ;)

#3 Terran

Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Whenever I fish on a windy day I seldom catch much. I have read that bass are more active when its windy because the water is stirred up and they are on a feeding frenzy. I find its the opposite. Hope someone can clarify or provide insight. Thanks.

Yakker,

Here are a couple of articles that may shed some light on your "wind" questions.

Windy Day Wisdom/Bassmasters- http://www.bassmaste...indy-day-wisdom

Blowhard - http://www.bassresou.../wind_fish.html

Read these two articles and you should gain the insight you are looking for.

Hope this helps,

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#4 Yakker

Yakker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Interesting articles. Thanks. I noticed that I got more action when using a loud crankbait today.

#5 zum

zum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

I prefer it windy;good thing to,living in N.S.
I keep it simple...fish the windy side of the lake or try to throw into the wind.

#6 chaseforen777

chaseforen777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

I find I catch loads of fish on good hard rattle cranks cast right up to a wind blown shoreline. The biggest fish seem to come from ambush points like break lines where the rough and calm water make a seam between places like the wide open lake and a sheltered cove. Atleast that's what works for me. I like to use a heavy spinner bait on windy days too, cast with the wind you can really get the most out of them. Fire it way out and retrieve parallel with the wind blown shoreline, lots of time in the strike zone!

#7 Yakker

Yakker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Awesome advice. Thanks. Will throw spunnerbaits tomorrow I think. Need to be more patient in kayak too.

#8 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

I never read the above articles , but i'll add my opinion.the fish aren't really the problem. fish are more active in the wind. the wind oxygenates the water, makes light refraction different, making them feel at ease from above predators.so I believe the fish are more active.(I like a nice 4-8 inch chop)the problem lies in that ;you are having a harder time controlling your line!in a boat, it's going up and down, and the wind blows a HUGE bow in your line making it almost impossible to detect a bite.in the kayak , I find it even harder. last time I was out in mine, I was in 2 foot waves. casting out , and the yak would drift farther than my cast. casting accuracy was horrible , etc,etc.....jmo...good luck in the future with it.

#9 chaseforen777

chaseforen777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

Jsawler, you made good points, the wind blowing your line and the waves moving your bait are the reasons why I use cranks that really dig hard into the water, or heavier spinnerbaits. They eliminate the feeling of "losing contact" with your lure in windy conditions by how hard they "dig in" on the retrieve. You can really feel your lures action well when using braided line!

#10 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Jsawler, you made good points, the wind blowing your line and the waves moving your bait are the reasons why I use cranks that really dig hard into the water, or heavier spinnerbaits. They eliminate the feeling of "losing contact" with your lure in windy conditions by how hard they "dig in" on the retrieve. You can really feel your lures action well when using braided line!

and that's where I believe the term ''spinnerbait chop'' came from. most people automatically tie on a spinnerbait after the wind kicks up.I'm not much of a crankbait angler; so I pretty much never tie one on <_< .I do use braid a lot, but never on my baitcasters. which I use exclusively for power fishing.

#11 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 504 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

I fished the windy side of Rocky Lake last evening, and did not get a strike. Went to a calm side and got a strike almost every cast after I found the depth they were at.

Personal hook & line records:
Chain Pickerel - 24"
Small Mouth Bass - 16.5" 2lbs 1oz
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Shark - 120" Blue (dad's line actually :P )
Mackerel - tinkers
Scoulpin - who cares :angry:

#12 Lguthro

Lguthro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

I don't know for bass, but trout fishing when I prospect a new lake I will start at when ever end of the lake the wind is blowing towards, that way any incests, small fish, etc will be pushed down to the end area and in theory where the fish should be. This is theory and doesn't always work but usually a good spot to start 

#13 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 504 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Where I was the wind was blowing towards me, and I have seen others catch SMB there. I tired open water, around the lillies, near the drop-off, not as bite.  Went on the other side (where ironically I have never caught any larger than my finger) where there was no wind, and presto fish on the hook!  I'll have to read to articles soon. Interesting to say the least.

Chain Pickerel - 24"
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Mackerel - tinkers

#14 902

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

It seems like they don't particularly love the wind, at least in my experience. I find I get far more bites when I cast into the calmer water thats more sheltered on windy days, instead of out into the fast moving stuff. This is with a bobber though, so they could be hiding real deep when the gusts pick up 

#15 OleNewfieDog

OleNewfieDog

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 504 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

It seems like they don't particularly love the wind, at least in my experience. I find I get far more bites when I cast into the calmer water thats more sheltered on windy days, instead of out into the fast moving stuff. This is with a bobber though, so they could be hiding real deep when the gusts pick up 

I tried various depths using a slip bobber. In the wind; no joy. Same lake different spot, in the calm, fish on!

Chain Pickerel - 24"
Trout - 10"
Yellow Perch - 8"
Mackerel - tinkers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users