Terran

To do nothing is unacceptable.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

Saw this story and thought I'd post it.

Great White Lydia is on the move; Dal is on her tail: http://thechronicleh...-is-on-her-tail

Apparently, our over abundance of Seals has made us a tourist attraction. At least for 20 or so Great Whites being tracked headed towards Nova Scotia and Sable Island.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#2 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Here is a related story about the new $41,5 million Ocean Sciences Building at Dal.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/editorials/1133862-editorial-ocean-tracking-network-science-at-work

It is comforting to see that somebody is doing ocean science and isn't "gagged" when it comes to talking about it.

Terran

"In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen."  Grover Cleveland

#3 IceShanty

IceShanty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

#4 RyanLandry

RyanLandry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Locationmississauga, Ontario

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

This is pretty cool! With the seal population getting out of controll there would be no shortage of food for these beasts! It's truly amazing how far they travel each year. The crazy thing is we will most likely never know if this is due to climate change or if they've been making this trip for hundreds of years!

#5 keldycandy

keldycandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

wonder were the great beast is now?

I have friends on the atlantic ocean who spotted this shark about 2 weeks ago now, while on George's Bank on a fishing trip

#6 Carbonbasedunit

Carbonbasedunit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

The big shark named Lydia, is currently off the east coast of florida. I found a site that tracks a bunch of sharks, http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com. Right hand side of the site has the sharks by name if you are interested in a particular shark otherwise it just shows the overall location of all the sharks. Doesn't look like there are any too close to NS at the moment haha

#7 BigGuy

BigGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationTrenton, Pictou County, Nova Scotia

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Think im gonna need a bigger boat

...someone had to say it lol

"There's more to fishing than catching fish"
Join me on Facebook or Youtube for lots of great pictures of my trips and catches, flies and fly tying.
Also plenty of tips, tricks and videos!! Join up and tell your friends.
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Facebook
Jesse Samson Outdoor Adventures - Youtube

#8 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

I was just watching the CTV Evening News. Steve Murphy made a brief report on the "unconfirmed" spotting of  Great White Shark along the coast near Lunenburg.

Just did a search and can't find anything just yet.

Has anybody heard anything about this? Does anyone have any information?

Really just kind of curious.

Terran

#9 keldycandy

keldycandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

I was just watching the CTV Evening News. Steve Murphy made a brief report on the "unconfirmed" spotting of  Great White Shark along the coast near Lunenburg.

Just did a search and can't find anything just yet.

Has anybody heard anything about this? Does anyone have any information?

Really just kind of curious.

Terran

i will be talking to my fishing buddies that are down off lunenburg fishing for swordfish and tuna if this is true, they would know since they are right there in that area

#10 keldycandy

keldycandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

now if a great white shark has come this close to nova scotia i am really curious as to which sharks is lurking just off the public beach that is very close to me

#11 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

i will be talking to my fishing buddies that are down off lunenburg fishing for swordfish and tuna if this is true, they would know since they are right there in that area

Keldycandy,

Yeah, would be interesting to hear if there's anything to this report. Like I said, Steve Murphy just mentioned a brief blurb about it tonight on the News.

Could be someone saw a big shark and thought it was a White or maybe there is a White up here munching seals and sightseeing.

Did a web search and nothing popped up yet. Hopefully, someone got some video.

Will be interesting to hear if there's anything more on it. Look forward to anything your fishermen buddies might have on the so-called White sighting.

Thanks,

Terran

#12 keldycandy

keldycandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

only if i had a si-ban vhf system, i could talk to him from my house to where ever he is at. He mentioned to me he seen a shark that he never seen before about 15ft long,  down on georges bank which is 80 miles south of yarmouth, so when he gets in again, i expect him in the next few days, and ill ask him if he seen anything, or if i had his satilite phone number i could reach him almost any time while service was up

#13 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

Just found the story about the Great White "caught/hooked/spotted" off Lunenburg.

Great white shark hooked off Lunenburg

August 1, 2013  NewsNow/Progress Bulletin

http://www.southshorenow.ca/en/news/now/

If you're thinking about taking a cool dip in the Atlantic Ocean at one of Lunenburg County's many scenic beaches, you may want to think again.

It seems that one un-welcome tourist, which has the potential to cause some serious trouble, has decided to visit the area for a while.

On July 30 Bill Flower of Lunenburg Ocean Adventures was out deep sea fishing about six and a half miles southwest of Cross Island with a group of four from the Chester area when something extremely unusual happened.

"I was sitting up forward, kind of relaxing, reading a book. We'd already caught four or five sharks, blue sharks, six footers. The people were all happy," he recalled. "Then all of a sudden one of the balloons we use as bobbers … I heard [it] pop, bang, like that. They normally don't do that they just break off or whatever."

By the time Mr. Flower had gotten to the stern of the boat where the rod employing the bobber was located, the line had gone under the boat on the port side and was headed from out under the starboard side of his vessel.

Mr. Flower's crewman had taken the rod from it's holder "and was holding on for dear life, all he could to hold on to the line.

"The rod was bent right over like a pretzel up underneath the boat here. I had two other rigs out and I couldn't move the boat to get spun around because I'd get the line in the [propeller] blades," he explained. "Everybody turned because they thought there was a whale coming up on the starboard side and we could see only 20 or 30 feet away the water was boiling."

Mr. Flower ran forward to try and put the boat in reverse to try to get it up off the line.

"All of a sudden this great white comes out of the water and went straight up, ballistic. It's tail was about five feet out of the water," said. "It was between 12 and 15 feet, a thousand pounds maybe. It went straight up in the air, completely vertical, belly facing us. He must have spit the hook - I thought I cut [the line] with the blades - and then he banged down on the water and was gone."

In over 20 years of operating the business Mr. Flower said that he had only ever seen one great white before and had never hooked one.

"I had one off Cross Island about three or four years ago and it was about 25 feet long," he said. "I got right alongside of him and I could see his cheek and his eye. Then he submerged, displaced the water around him like a submarine."

Mr. Flower said this latest encounter with a great white "was just crazy. It sent shivers down my spine."

"I was still shaking when I got home."

While a 10-foot great white was caught in a fishing weir in the Bay of Fundy near Economy, Nova Scotia, back in July 2011, sightings of the fish, the largest predatory species in the world, are rare in these waters and attacks are even rarer.

The Canadian Shark Research Laboratory says great white sightings in Atlantic Canadian waters occur about once every two to three years.

Earlier this year a great white that had been tagged by researchers in Florida for tracking purposes was reportedly on it's way northward towards the province.

(Story by Robert Hirtle ) ~ Permalink ~ Home

Now about that bigger boat? :lol: 

Terran

#14 keldycandy

keldycandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

each shark fin has its own shape, and i can see people racing out with mono gear and hooks and setting gear to attempt a catch

#15 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

I'm all for Great Whites cruisin up here and "culling" a few seals at the drive thru out there at McSable's Island. ;) 

Hopefully, the "Yahoos" won't turn this sighting into a scene from" Jaws". You know the one...where all the local "Hero's" head out to "get them some".

Just let these critters do their thing and chow down on the abundant pinniped population. They'll be too full to bug anyone else.

Terran

#16 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

Who killed Snuffy the Seal?

Coincidentally, Shark Week begins Sunday, August 4 on the Discovery Channel: http://dsc.discovery...fy-the-seal.htm

Terran

#17 ppaauull0

ppaauull0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Sable Island is miles away from NS, what about the ones that are in the Bay of Fundy, nobody seems worried about them?

#18 pmorris

pmorris

Court Jester

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts
  • LocationBedford, NS

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'm all for Great Whites cruisin up here and "culling" a few seals at the drive thru out there at McSable's Island. ;) 

You make them sound like mindless eating machines. They're actually working very hard to improve their image:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BN2doCD3YJw

Any fool can hook a dog with fly or spinning gear. I'm proud to announce that I hooked one while ice fishing.

#19 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Sable Island is miles away from NS, what about the ones that are in the Bay of Fundy, nobody seems worried about them?

Hopefully, they'll find some open pen feedlots and settle for Sushi! :rolleyes:  :lol:  :lol: 

Wonder if it's safe for Cooke to go back in the water?

Terran

#20 Terran

Terran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

You make them sound like mindless eating machines. They're actually working very hard to improve their image:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BN2doCD3YJw

Paul,

Think Snuffy might have had something to say about that! ;)  :lol:  :lol: 

Terran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users