#1 Ontario Fisherman

Ontario Fisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ontario, Central Lake Erie

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

Sea Breeze Boats have been for sale in Southern Ontario recently. They are made in Newfoundland. I would assume that they have been around NS for a while. Has anybody had any experience with these boats? That is, owned one or knows somebody who has one. Simply, are they any good? Do you know of any problems with them? There are a couple for sale on NFLD Kijiji and one has only 11 hours on it. I emailed asking the owner why it is for sale and received no reply. So I am concerned about quality.

#2 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:17 AM

Sea Breeze Boats have been for sale in Southern Ontario recently. They are made in Newfoundland. I would assume that they have been around NS for a while. Has anybody had any experience with these boats? That is, owned one or knows somebody who has one. Simply, are they any good? Do you know of any problems with them? There are a couple for sale on NFLD Kijiji and one has only 11 hours on it. I emailed asking the owner why it is for sale and received no reply. So I am concerned about quality.

I have owned a Sea Breeze 19' center console for 3 years now, and IMO, it is a very nice boat! This is my first all fibreglass boat, and so far I am happy with it. It handles very well, and throws the spray nicely!!!! Posted Image

The ONLY bad thing I have to say about the boat I purchased, is that the wiring job was GARBAGE, and I had to rewire the entire system except for the motors wiring harness!!!! All they used for wire on the boat I purchased was non marine grade standard 4 conductor wire for trailers, with non marine grade connectors, and wire nuts?????!!!!! Posted Image

I am not sure if they have upgraded the quality of the wiring jobs, but I would definitely check the wiring on any new and/or used boat by this company!! Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pic above shows the quality of the wiring job done from the factory on my boat. Notice the non marine grade wire, non marine grade connectors, and the wire nut that is NEVER to be used in marine applications!!! Also take note of the wires being supported over bare screws that will ultimately lead to chafe and a possible fire hazard!!!!

This was all replaced with marine grade wire and connectors even before I put it in the water for the first time!!!!

http://www.seabreezeboats.ca/
Posted Image

#3 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

xlobsterman , i've taken a few boats apart by a few different manufacturers , and i hate to say it , but a side from the wire nut, that's pretty much the standard that i've seen! it is irritating in the least to not even see the manufacturer use solder at all.i fix up bass boats from time to time, and most issues are simply because of the lack of a good connection[solder].i shamefully must admit that i didn't know that there is a marine grade electrical wire!i'll even bet that the switches aren't marine grade neither, for i do use those and know that they are a fair bit more expensive.i also seen an episode of power boat television , and they did an on water boat test of one of these boats. so ontario fisherman , you may want to look at the boat test .ca and find the test on that site!

#4 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

xlobsterman , i've taken a few boats apart by a few different manufacturers , and i hate to say it , but a side from the wire nut, that's pretty much the standard that i've seen! it is irritating in the least to not even see the manufacturer use solder at all.i fix up bass boats from time to time, and most issues are simply because of the lack of a good connection[solder].i shamefully must admit that i didn't know that there is a marine grade electrical wire!i'll even bet that the switches aren't marine grade neither, for i do use those and know that they are a fair bit more expensive.i also seen an episode of power boat television , and they did an on water boat test of one of these boats. so ontario fisherman , you may want to look at the boat test .ca and find the test on that site!

IMO, soldering causes irregular results, it is very difficult to control the flow of solder into the wire strands, then, at the point were the solder stops this causes a "stress point" that needs to be supported otherwise vibration will cause the wire to break at that point!!! With a proper crimp there should be no reason to solder a terminal. With a tinned wire and a tinned terminal there is no dissimilar metals therefore minimal corrosion, then seal with heat shrink no more problem. Neither ABYC or the US Coast Guard recommend soldering as a type of wire termination in boat wiring!!!

I use nothing but marine grade wire and crimped wire terminals with sealed heat shrink tubing. It is much more expensive to do it right the first time, but do it right, and you will have minimal problems (if any at all) while on the water!

Here is a link to the best wiring products for use in marine applications: http://www.marinco.com/brand/ancor

http://www.abycinc.org/

http://www.uscgboati...al_systems.aspx

Posted Image

#5 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

thanks for the info, nice sites. :) anyday you learn something , it's a good day! :rolleyes: i must admit that i don't fully understand the problem with soldering , but i do trust your judgement!i'm not going to rewire my boat now , but where do you purchase the wire?i went to the first site and punched in halifax with no results. :angry: the tin to tin would also save a lot of time as well. thanks for the info . ;) i will heed your advice on my next build. :D i do actually have to do more wiring to it in march , so if i can get some before that then i will definately use it! ;)

#6 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:36 AM

thanks for the info, nice sites. :) anyday you learn something , it's a good day! :rolleyes: i must admit that i don't fully understand the problem with soldering , but i do trust your judgement!i'm not going to rewire my boat now , but where do you purchase the wire?i went to the first site and punched in halifax with no results. :angry: the tin to tin would also save a lot of time as well. thanks for the info . ;) i will heed your advice on my next build. :D i do actually have to do more wiring to it in march , so if i can get some before that then i will definately use it! ;)

In my early days of boating (30+ years ago) I thought soldering my connections was a good practice. Then, as I started doing business with some very knowledgeable folks at some local marine hardware stores, I was educated differently. I now use nothing but crimped connections on all my boat wiring.

Most local marine hardware stores carry marine wire and connectors, but I have found them to have very high prices on the stuff, so I purchase most of my supplies online, (Ebay) and I get much better pricing that way.

Here are a few links to some local marine dealers that carry marine wire and connectors:

http://ca.binnacle.com/index.html

http://www.stright-mackay.com/

http://www.mmosonline.com/

Posted Image

#7 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:37 AM

thanks for the info xlobsterman . very informative , and i'll try to get my hands on some of that stuff before spring!especially considering everything i have to do is back by the transom! :rolleyes: thanks for the info , :) later!

#8 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4otvdh12-8E"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4otvdh12-8E[/url]
Posted Image

#9 Ontario Fisherman

Ontario Fisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4otvdh12-8E"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4otvdh12-8E[/url]

#10 Ontario Fisherman

Ontario Fisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the informative replies. I can't get a better review than from someone who has owned the boat for three years. Boats can be a mystery and manufacturers like to keep their structural integrity a secret. Seabreeze claims to have fibreglass stringers with no wood to rot out which is the downfall of fibreglass boats. I am seeing a lot of older boats being scrapped due to rotted wood stringers. But I have to wonder how much a fibreglass stringer can take over time. However only time will tell. Judging from your website your boat has probably had a lot of use in three years so your thumbs up means a lot.

I was told that hull design is in a plane position even at rest which provides a pretty good ride at low speeds. My C-5 hull requires almost 18 mph to plane which can be difficult to achieve in a rough sea which is the opposite to the Sea Breeze concept. How does your boat perform in very rough conditions? Do you have the optional built-in gas tank? Is it possible to build in a live well or drainable fish well? Do you know any other Seabreeze owners?

#11 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the informative replies. I can't get a better review than from someone who has owned the boat for three years. Boats can be a mystery and manufacturers like to keep their structural integrity a secret. Seabreeze claims to have fibreglass stringers with no wood to rot out which is the downfall of fibreglass boats. I am seeing a lot of older boats being scrapped due to rotted wood stringers. But I have to wonder how much a fibreglass stringer can take over time. However only time will tell. Judging from your website your boat has probably had a lot of use in three years so your thumbs up means a lot.

I was told that hull design is in a plane position even at rest which provides a pretty good ride at low speeds. My C-5 hull requires almost 18 mph to plane which can be difficult to achieve in a rough sea which is the opposite to the Sea Breeze concept. How does your boat perform in very rough conditions? Do you have the optional built-in gas tank? Is it possible to build in a live well or drainable fish well? Do you know any other Seabreeze owners?

Hey OF,
unfortunately, the boat has not been used as much as I would like to use it!! But IMO, it is a good performer. I have it powered with a 50hp 2 stroke Mercury that will give the boat a top speed of close to 30mph light, and just over 25mph when loaded. I don't have the built in fuel tank option. It came with a 12gal tank mounted in the center console, and I take an extra 6gal can with me also. I have a 22gal live bait tank mounted just behind the leaning post.

I have the boat put away for the winter, or I would take some pics for you.

I do have this pic of the electronics I have installed on my console:

Posted Image

And here is a video of a few blue sharks swimming around the boat last year:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzesrku94wg"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zzesrku94wg[/url]

Posted Image

#12 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

I found another link to a video of a test on the Seabreeze 19. And in the video, it looks like the wiring job has been done correctly on the boat in the test!!! Posted Image

http://www.boattest....-walk-thru.html

http://www.seabreezeboats.ca/tv.html
Posted Image

#13 Ontario Fisherman

Ontario Fisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

I found another link to a video of a test on the Seabreeze 19. And in the video, it looks like the wiring job has been done correctly on the boat in the test!!! Posted Image

http://www.boattest....-walk-thru.html

http://www.seabreezeboats.ca/tv.html

#14 Ontario Fisherman

Ontario Fisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

The sharks swimming around your boat really got me going! It's going to be a long winter! Obviously your chum is doing the job. How far off shore were you that day and was that out of Sheet Harbour? When we fish for sharks on Lake Erie we pull a salt lick block behind the boat to attract them because we know sharks like salt water. lol

It looks like you have a GPS and two graphs on your console. What is the purpose of the two graphs? What line and bait do you use for sharks? I was thinking my musky lures and rods would work. I am equipped with downriggers and planer boards for freshwater salmon/trout which should function on the ocean as well. Looking at your video it would appear that just about anything would entice a shark to bite.

I never thought of mounting the live well pump outside the transom but I guess it would work well that way without drilling holes. Good idea! I was taking on water when the hose between the pump and the transom needed to be replaced.

#15 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:34 AM

The sharks swimming around your boat really got me going! It's going to be a long winter! Obviously your chum is doing the job. How far off shore were you that day and was that out of Sheet Harbour? When we fish for sharks on Lake Erie we pull a salt lick block behind the boat to attract them because we know sharks like salt water. lol

It looks like you have a GPS and two graphs on your console. What is the purpose of the two graphs? What line and bait do you use for sharks? I was thinking my musky lures and rods would work. I am equipped with downriggers and planer boards for freshwater salmon/trout which should function on the ocean as well. Looking at your video it would appear that just about anything would entice a shark to bite.

I never thought of mounting the live well pump outside the transom but I guess it would work well that way without drilling holes. Good idea! I was taking on water when the hose between the pump and the transom needed to be replaced.

When conditions are right, you don't have to venture far offshore to catch blue sharks. The fish in the video were only about 10 miles out of Sheet Harbour. As for the tackle to use for sharks, it all depends on the size of the sharks you will be catching? You should size the tackle to the size of the fish. Too heavy of tackle on small fish is no fun, so you should take a variety of gear from 30lb to 80lb. And the bait can be either herring or mackerel.

The pump in the video is made by Live Bait Larry and mounts on the transom with 4 screws.

The electronics on the console of my boat are (from right to left) a Furuno 16 mile radar, Garmin 276C color GPS chart plotter, and a Furuno LS4100 fish finder.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Ontario Fisherman

Ontario Fisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

When conditions are right, you don't have to venture far offshore to catch blue sharks. The fish in the video were only about 10 miles out of Sheet Harbour. As for the tackle to use for sharks, it all depends on the size of the sharks you will be catching? You should size the tackle to the size of the fish. Too heavy of tackle on small fish is no fun, so you should take a variety of gear from 30lb to 80lb. And the bait can be either herring or mackerel.

The pump in the video is made by Live Bait Larry and mounts on the transom with 4 screws.

The electronics on the console of my boat are (from right to left) a Furuno 16 mile radar, Garmin 276C color GPS chart plotter, and a Furuno LS4100 fish finder.

Posted Image

#17 Ontario Fisherman

Ontario Fisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

I noticed you had radar on your aluminum boat also. Is it a necessity on the ocean? It is rare to see it on a fishing boat here unless it is a large boat. I've never given radar a consideration or shopped for it so I have no idea what it costs.

#18 Xlobsterman

Xlobsterman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSheet Harbour

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:03 AM

I noticed you had radar on your aluminum boat also. Is it a necessity on the ocean? It is rare to see it on a fishing boat here unless it is a large boat. I've never given radar a consideration or shopped for it so I have no idea what it costs.

IMO, Radar is nice to have if you spend any amount of time boating on the ocean. And here on the Eastern Shore of NS, there is lots of FOG, so Radar is a good piece of safety equipment to have on your boat. And, just as most electronics have come down in price over the years, it is very affordable to have one on a boat. Here is a place in the US that I have found to have the BEST prices on marine electronics: http://www.consumersmarine.com Even after paying tax, duties, and shipping on this item from them, it was still hundreds less than any local marine dealer here in NS.

Here is an example, the link to consumers marine above has the item for $1299.99 and this local dealer http://ca.binnacle.com has the item for $1799.95 that's a whopping $500 difference in price!!!!!! I did contact the folks at the Binnacle to see if they could at least match that price, but they could not even give me ONE DOLLAR off of their price, so I purchased it from consumers marine!!! BTW, all 3 of the electronics you see on the console of my boat were purchased from consumers marine at SUBSTANTIAL price difference from ANY of the local electronics dealers here in NS!!!!

Posted Image

#19 jsawler

jsawler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Locationforrest home

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

i agree whole heartedly xlobsterman. last year i was buying a transom jack. i looked in a popular fishing magazine from the states and the price was [i believe]$260-270.so i thought ,if i can get it localy then i'll pay around $300, yeah right.i phoned at least 4 different companies in N.S. from lunenburg , to the HRM . the lowest that i got for a price was[i believe]$470, highest was $599.then i called a dealer in new brunswick that sells a lot of boats to nova scotia-same result! i was in disbelief , yes i did tell them all how much I COULD get it for , and what i was willing to spend to keep my money local, nobody was willing to ''adjust'' their price. so i called a company in ontario that i was dealing with , for some electronics. i explained the situation to them , they thanked me for allowing them the option , and i ended up getting it cheaper then if i bought it in NOVA SCOTIA at $300 plus taxes!i truly try to keep my money local, but the local dealers make it oh so difficult to do so! at least i managed to keep my money in canada----ggggeeeeeezzz!

#20 Ontario Fisherman

Ontario Fisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

i agree whole heartedly xlobsterman. last year i was buying a transom jack. i looked in a popular fishing magazine from the states and the price was [i believe]$260-270.so i thought ,if i can get it localy then i'll pay around $300, yeah right.i phoned at least 4 different companies in N.S. from lunenburg , to the HRM . the lowest that i got for a price was[i believe]$470, highest was $599.then i called a dealer in new brunswick that sells a lot of boats to nova scotia-same result! i was in disbelief , yes i did tell them all how much I COULD get it for , and what i was willing to spend to keep my money local, nobody was willing to ''adjust'' their price. so i called a company in ontario that i was dealing with , for some electronics. i explained the situation to them , they thanked me for allowing them the option , and i ended up getting it cheaper then if i bought it in NOVA SCOTIA at $300 plus taxes!i truly try to keep my money local, but the local dealers make it oh so difficult to do so! at least i managed to keep my money in canada----ggggeeeeeezzz!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users